Friday, May 7, 2010

The Critical Critique

Is there any other kind? I mean, isn't that the purpose of the whole thing? If the group is not critical it's not honest and if it isn't honest, it's not helpful and if it's not helpful, why bother? If you just want to socialize, join a coffee klatch or something. Actually, after last night's critique, I feel somewhat justified in a decision that I totally agree with. The prologue absolutely has to stay. Now, I'm sure some editor is going to cringe or something but "my gals" agree so there. In another bit of irony, although they don't know about it, I had already made a major change they sugggested, that of more thoroughly introducing characters and setting, but in my exasperating attempt at deleting the prologue, I left it out. I'll put it back girls, I promise. I'd also like to give kudos to Barnes and Noble for the way they support both reader and writer. Awesome job, B&N. Thank you.
Now on to another point of contention between us, that of the rhyming picture book vs. non-rhyming. Isn't it ironic that we are told again and again that rhyming picture books are on their way out? And yet, guess what's getting the most shelf space. I have no problem with rhyming books at all. That being said, however, not all picture books have to rhyme and the biggest problem I see in the ones that we critique is that sometimes the writer is TOO focused on the rhyme and not on the story. Personallly, I'd like to see a better balance between rhyming and not rhyming and I think that some stories were never meant to rhyme in the first place. If we aren't careful, kids will start school speaking in rhyme. Now, give me a second to climb down from my soap box. I'm getting too old to get up there anyway. Do they make soap boxes with steps? Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment