Monday, May 3, 2010

Why the bookmarks so soon?

I was asked today why I created the bookmarks when the book isn't complete, It was a legitimate question but one that I'm glad to answer. As I've stated on a previous post or two, whether you are published or not., you have to look at writing as a business. Have you ever considered the investment have already made in time and money? Self promotion is more essential in this day and age than ever before. Ask the published authors how much they would lose if they didn't get out there and sell not only the product, but the creation, which is where you come in. How many times have you seen billboards proclaiming, "Opening Soon," "Site of the new what ever. " I saw a billboard in March announcing that the local "Dairy Queen will offer Orange Julius in June. " Here is how I look at it. By proclaiming that my book will be available soon at a local bookstore near you, I am putting myself out there. I'm making a commitment not only to the reader but to myself. It's a great motivational tool. Do I want my friends and relatives to be disappointed in me? Of course not, so I've given myself until this fall to produce. Is it possible that I might fail? ABSOLUTELY NOT! ..I may not achieve my goals by a specific date, but that does not mean I have failed IF I have used the time productively and made significant headway. There are too many factors that can affect or delay my success but I will NOT fail. Don't ever believe that failure to achieve a specific step in your journey makes you a failure. I'm sure that Musetta and Musella, my twin muse sisters are twisting n their proverbial chairs right now but they've always been there for me and they won't fail me now. Besides, they have the ladies in my critique group to kick me where its needed most. So set realistic goals, chart a realistic path and tell the world to pay attention. Are you listening Sally?
Who is Sally? Ah that's another post at another time.

2 comments:

  1. Warren,
    I love your go-get-em attitude. That's half the battle right there! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Cari. Attitude is everything. I've given myself a strong deadline as well. Hope I can stick to it!

    ReplyDelete