Monday, May 17, 2010

Pausing to Regroup

Okay, so admittedly I am quite tardy with this post but I was writing. No, really I was. I actually got the chapter done that I was having a problem with and in doing so, I did something that a writer should never, never do. In my frustrations, I spent far too much time editing. If you don't see the harm in that, it is simply this. Write, write, write. Get it down on paper from start to finish and then, take a break to edit. In fact, a great number of writing pros will tell you that you shouldn't even look at what you've done until it is complete. In my defense, I actually have completed the novel in draft form but that version is ancient history thanks to some very good advice from very intelligent people. In that first version, there are so many holes and impossible scenarios, that nothing worked. In addition, all of the rewriting on the prologue and chapter one completely changed the middle chapters. I mean completely. After stripping out the trash, I am left with characters and an overall plot line to work with. That's all right though. It just means it's going to be all that more difficult to achieve my goals for the next five months. For now, I have to focus on getting my submittal done and posted before Friday. That's doable for sure.

I really wanted to attend the "Focus on the Novel" workshop this last weekend but had be in Detroit all weekend. I hear it was a great workshop and congratulate the regional staff that put it on, although I'm not a big fan of one day conferences. I have attended some that were very infomative and educational, including one just this month but there are so many things you can accomplish in the three day conference that you simply can not in a one day, and as I have said several times, you have to evaluate the workshhops and conferences as to presenters, agents, editors and focus to get the most bang for your buck. I don't care what your financial situation is. You can't afford to waste your available funds on a social event that doesn't significantly advance your efforts. That's why I no longer attend my favorite workshop in Missouri. The focus simply does not advance my efforts. Great people and awesome social hours but that's not worth several hundred dollars to me. Let's face it. Conferences and workshops require a huge investment of time and money. Get all you can for your hard earned dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment